Sunday, February 11, 2007

A belated goodbye to Bruce

I learned today that an old friend of mine, Bruce Reid, died late last month after a long, painful struggle with thyroid cancer. He was 44 and is survived by his wife, Lori, and three daughters.

I met Bruce the first year I cam to Ann Arbor, in 1981, and we fellowshipped together for nearly 10 years until he moved to New Jersey and we lost touch. But from reading what others said about him upon his passing, its clear that a man I saw as a role-model for my Christian walk, continued to grow in his tendency to reflect God's glory.

He was one of those rare people who are strong leaders, but so tender-hearted that they seem to lead through weakness. You want to work with them and serve them because you know they love you.

At 43, I still carry around a notion of invincibility. I'm not very limber and my bones are tired at times, but I still think of my life's end as distant place. It is sobering to think that such a great man had his legacy cut short so early in his life, only one year older than I am.

May he rest in peace until that great day when all things will once again be restored and heaven and earth are united once more. Maranatha!

No comments: