Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Influencing our Youth with a Call to Action

I haven't read Jim Wallis' book God's Politics, though I bought it recently after reading about it in Jesse's blog. Now that I've read the following excerpt from Wallis's blog, I'll have to move it up on my list....

Sojourners : Special Features: "An unexpected thing: bringing families together.

I've reported how the book and media events are attracting a new generation of young people and that many students are coming up to get their book signed. At one bookstore, a young man gave me his book to sign and I asked if he was a student. 'Yes, but I'm still in high school.' 'What year?' I asked. 'I'm a freshman,' he said, and I noticed he was there without his parents but with a few of his friends. And something else very moving is now happening at many stops. Parents tell me how their son or daughter had lost their faith and left the church. 'But my son saw you on Jon Stewart's Daily Show and got the book. He just wrote his mother and me to tell us that he is finding his way back to faith.' There was a tear in Dad's eye when he told me that. I've heard many stories like that now, about sons and daughters, husbands or wives, and even parents who hadn't been to a church in many years now taking a fresh look at the issues of faith and how it applies to the social issues they care most about. Reading the book seems to be bringing some families back together again around the issues of faith and social justice."

No comments: