Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The importance of prayer

I once read a quote by Martin Luther to the effect of "sometimes I have so much to do in a day, that if I don't start off with four hours of prayer, I'll never get it all done!" Would that I could say the same. Here, too, is a similar quote (more recent) by NT WrightGower Street: Interview with N.T. Wright (part 3 of 6): "So, for me, the sheet anchor is the time of prayer in the morning. I really dare not start the day without a time of Scripture reading and prayer. Even if the day is going to be frantically busy with lots of urgent things – and it’s not a matter of overpiety – I dare not run on empty. Actually, although it can be hard work, I love praying for the diocese. It is an amazing privilege to have a diocese like Durham, 250 parishes, with the task of holding them before God in prayer. It’s just an extraordinary thing. That’s absolutely central to a bishop’s task, is to be praying for the diocese and the people therein."

No comments: