Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Another World is Here

One of my favorite blogs now has a good article on the recent report from the Millenium Development group with practical ways to reduce severe poverty, WorldChanging: Another World Is Here: "A Practical Plan Money as a Tool – Finance, Venture Philanthropy, Trade and Economy" which was also discussed in The New York Times > International > U.N. Panel Urges Doubling of Aid to Cut Poverty.

I've realized that my postings here tend toward the pessimistic. I lose patience with what I perceive as humanistic attempts to solve the worlds problems rather than turning to God for the solution.

But I'm beginning to realize how I've got it wrong. Is it right to wait for God to provide a solution? Hasn't he already provided the answer? Isn't part of our role as image bearers for his kingdom the delivery of the solution on His behalf, using His princplies.

I've often wondered what we'll be doing in during the millenial reign. Perhaps we'll be implementing some of the Millenium Projects recommendations. After all, planting "fertilizer trees" that "could replenish Africa's soil nutrients and lead to a doubling or tripling of food crop yields in just a few years" sounds like a loving thing to do. But why wait until then? So the question is: What obstacles keep us from bringing his Kingdom of light to world right now? Are there any that we can't overcome through his power?

1 comment:

Jesse said...

nice blog, bob. excellent posts...especially the last two. i'll have to visit more often (just found you today)